Saturday, November 11, 2006

How I Won the Election -- in Virginia: I was pretty terrified of a George Allen Presidential campaign. It's why I dedicated a good part of my blogging over the summer to the then basically unreported story of Allen's denial of his Jewish ancestry, and apparent antisemitism. I'll give Webb the credit for the 8,000 vote difference, but excuse me if I feel a little of personal pride every time I think of "Senator Webb." I've also really grown to really respect and admire Jim Webb. Hell be a damn fine Senator. And a Vice-President Webb wouldn't be such a bad thing, either.

This was an unusual campaign for me. I usually get much more involved on the ground. This time, I worked in different ways -- lots of letter writing and I was blogging a lot -- but it may have been the biggest contributions I've made. I can't prove it -- at least not without asking one reporter why she asked a certain question -- but I feel like a played a part in helping George Allen beat himself. On the other hand, I couldn't help Andrew Hurst get elected to Congress. I still think if the Democratic Party had given him some money at the right moment, it could have made a huge difference.

When one considers the war chests that the Presidential candidates have, the notion that some candidates might have had a real shot of winning if they'd gotten some monetary support -- well, it's very disappointing. Hillary Clinton held on to millions -- although she gave $2.6 million to fellow Democrats, she held on to much more, and spent an absurd sum on a race that was in the bag. John Kerry held on to a large sum, as well -- for a Presidential run that probably went up in smoke during the final days of the '06 campaign. I understand that they do campaign hard for the money they raise, and Sen. Clinton may believe she was quite generous. Still, Kerry and Clinton both lost friends in the blog set for not being more generous.

Senator Clinton will be the front-runner as the primary season begins in a little more than year. I, for one, am anxious to see how well she does at making the case for her Presidency. I haven't made up my mind which candidate I expect to support in the primaries, but I promise to get much more involved on the ground.

No comments: